Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I feel quitty, oh so quitty!

On Saturday, I did something I've never done before as a runner. I quit a race without finishing.

I was running the Milford Labor Day 30K with my running buddy Joanne. We were doing Galloway-style intervals (run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute) and it was working pretty well. But my feet started hurting, as they do, and then once we got to around 14 miles I just lost it. I cried, I yelled, I totally lost my shit. It was ridiculous. Joanne tried valiantly to get me back to sanity, but it wasn't to be.

I ended up calling David and asking him to come pick me up. He headed in my direction, but I ran into my brother and his wife before David arrived and they drove me back to the start/finish area. In the end, I completed 15.3 miles out of 18.6. Joanne went on to a great finish, despite my abandonment of her after I freaked out.

I will not run either marathon this fall if my feet are going to hurt like this. I have an appointment with a podiatrist tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

3 comments:

desertrunnergirl said...

OK, the title of this post cracks me up! I'm zipping around my house, singing it and my dogs are looking at me like I'm crazy.

Anyway, I'm glad you got some hopeful news from the podiatrist. Running is such a big part of your life, I can't imagine you not doing it. Maybe not marathon distances, but you will always be a runner. I know it.

Cathy said...

Ha, I was singing the title, too. :) That is my goal, to always be a runner. That's why if I have to bail on the marathons to keep my feet healthy, I will do it even though I will be sad about it. But I have to focus on the fact that it's more important to me to be able to run for the rest of my life than to run a marathon this year.

desertrunnergirl said...

Exactly.