Saturday, March 28, 2009

Weekly round-up

On Monday and Tuesday, I didn't run at all. That felt really weird to me. I did strength training on Monday, so I wasn't totally workout-free those days.

I felt pretty guilty about not doing anything on Tuesday because it wasn't pre-planned. I wanted to sleep in on Tuesday morning and planned to go to the gym and hop on the treadmill on Tuesday night. However, after work on Tuesday I drove to the gym and when I arrived in the parking lot I thought "I really don't want to do this" so I went home, instead. I think my legs just needed a break.

Wednesday morning I was back at it with 5 miles on the treadmill. I bumped up the pace every mile because I'm trying to get used to doing negative splits instead of always running full-out in the beginning and then crapping out at the end. I also went back to the gym after work on Wednesday to do strength training again. I actually made myself work my abs, which I hate to do, so it was nice to feel some ab soreness later in the week. :)

I have the world's greatest boyfriend, because David is very agreeable about doing our usual Wednesday "date night" at the gym instead of going out to dinner like we used to do. I enjoy eating out but it's so hard for me to keep myself in control when I go to a restaurant. Also, since I dedicated myself to strength training three days a week it really helps me to have that additional opportunity to go to the gym on Wednesday nights.

On Thursday morning, back to the gym. (Are we sensing a theme here?) I did three miles and then had some issues that caused me to need to stop. I'll spare you the TMI. :)

I went to bed at 9:15 on Thursday night. (Oh, I didn't mention that I also promised myself this week that I'll start getting more sleep and I was pretty successful at accomplishing that.) As a consequence, I woke up at 4am on Friday.

Okay, I also had to pee which seems to be a multi-time occurrence at night these days since I've become such a coffee hound (all decaf, though). Anyway, since I was up anyway and had planned to go to the gym for weight lifting, I figured I'd just go early so I could get some running in, too. So Friday was a kick-ass workout day. I sandwiched in two runs surrounding my strength training. All in all, I ran just over 5 miles and also lifted weights for 40 minutes. Woo hoo! I worked those darn abs again, so I'm feeling them again today which makes me perversely happy.

This morning I was scheduled for five miles. Normally I'd go meet friends at the park for a run, but it was supposed to rain today so I didn't want to commit myself to that. Turned out it was really nice out, 40 and sunny, so I didn't have to treadmill and could run outside instead. It was hard for me to motivate myself to take the first step, but once I got going I felt good and actually ran 7.5 miles instead of the planned five. I ran more miles than my schedule called for this week. Oops. :)

The schedule I'm following is aimed at the Bayshore Half Marathon on May 23, so next week isn't scheduled as a taper week even though I've got the Martian Half Marathon on April 5. We'll see how it goes, I may trim back the mileage a little bit from what is on the schedule depending on how I feel. I'll definitely take next Saturday as a total rest day, which will be easy for me to do since I'm taking a card-making class at the local scrapbook store at 10am on Saturday so I'll be up and out of the house early doing other stuff.

Must remember to go to the Martian Expo next Friday after work to pick up the ugly race shirt and get my race packet. =)

2 comments:

Black Bear! said...

Taper. woo hoo. Love the blog. 120 pounds - WOW. What's your strategy for Sunday? 7:00 a.m. seriously, I can sleep through the first hour.

Cathy said...

I have no strategy for Sunday. Seriously, I am like the strategy-free racer. I could probably learn many things from you. My plan was to treat the Martian just as a regular long run since my focus is more on Bayshore. I have a bad habit of going out too fast and feeling like I'm going to die later, so I guess my strategy is to keep it steady and don't go out too fast no matter how excited I get.