Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A good running day

Today was a good day! I woke up at 5:15 knowing I was supposed to run seven miles today. I didn't want to do it, because it was already hot and humid before the sun came up. However, I told one of my running buddies over the weekend that I was going to follow my training schedule this week and that she should bug me about it. So as much as I didn't want to get up and run, I knew Jo would ask me if I'd gotten my run in and I'd feel guilty. That got me up and out there, and I did it.

It was hard to run in the heat and humidity so I was pretty slow, but I got it done. I felt great afterward despite being tired and disgustingly sweaty. And then later in the day Jo sent me a message on FB asking if I'd run and I was happy to be able to say I've been following the schedule.

But the even better part of the day was when I received a text from my friend Megan asking which airport was the best one for someone who might be booking a flight to Detroit to run a 30K. I've been pestering Megan for what feels like months to come to Detroit and run the Labor Day 30K with me, because it will be excellent training for both of us for the Twin Cities Marathon. I do believe I finally wore her down. Woo hoo!

I'm really looking forward to seeing her and running a race with her again. It's been nearly a year since we ran the Dick Beardsley half marathon together. That half was a week after the 30K last year, so I'm pretty sure I must have given her an earful about what a miserable, hilly festival of suck the 30K is. We shall not let it defeat us!

No comments: